PragmaticAndy Burns Down the House

I've been a software developer throughout the "Agile Revolution."  My first team lead, back in 2001 said these words to me and I've always taken them to heart:
I think the world's pretty done with us [Software Developers].  I feel like we've got about 5 years to get our act together or that's it.
Apropos, that same year a highly influential group of practitioners signed the Agile Manifesto.   Amid waves of Dot-Com-Bubble-Bursting, offshoring, and right-sizing, they kept it simple:  Here's what works; apply liberally.

That was 14 years ago.  In the intervening time, much like Protestantism after Luther, factions emerged:  eXtreme Programming, Scrum, Kanban, Scaled Agile Framework.  Characteristically, 25-year-old me thought these were all leaps forward.   At 36-and-a-half, my cynicism grows: I've seen Agile roll-out to 1000+ developers in 2 world-wide organization across different corporate and civic cultures.  I'll gladly replace Sisyphus rolling the rock uphill in Hades before I'd do it again.

Apparently I'm not alone:  Yesterday, Andy Hunt--one of those very signatories--took his football and went home.

* * *

Okay...now what?

Maybe before we jump into something else--a Trademarked name already, and a .com!--we ought to take some time to grieve and reexamine, lest the next thing be worse that what's ending.

For my part:

  • I like making clients happy, whether that's the guy in the next cube or a customer 12 timezones away.  It's validating.
  • Sometimes to do that, you need a spec (a contract), sometimes you need a conversation.  Throwing specs away was naive, just as much as slavishly expecting spec == quality.  
  • I like demo'ing often and getting instant feedback from a client (or her designee).  
  • I like designing things before I code.  Sometimes.  I shouldn't be shouted down for that by someone invoking 'YAGNI' or 'BDUF' as magic talismans.
  • I like hacking together a PoC without much design.  Sometimes.
I want to make: 
  1. Software that works.
  2. Software that somebody finds useful.
  3. Software that doesn't get thrown away every 6 months.
Maybe GROWS (TM) [BLECH!] will end-up being a panacea.  Part of me genuinely hopes something works and gains adoption as "Standard Practice" so we can have solid standards in Software Engineering the way that Mechanical and Civil Engineers do.  I question whether I'll live to see that day.

The largest part of me couldn't care less.  I'd rather be coding.

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Mope

RegisterForPrintAsyncNotifications

The reality of the next car purchase