Too short for a blog post.
These are some tech-related skills I'm glad I have. They come in awfully handy:
- Touch typing. You'd be surprised at the number of people who work with computers for a living who can't actually touch type.
- Markdown. Markdown is incredibly handy for tossing-off documentation and forum responses. I've actually considered hosing this blog entirely and converting to posts hosted on Github, formatted in Markdown.
- Vim. I've rediscovered a love for Vim in the past few weeks. I've intentionally avoided installing Sublime Text 3 on my work machines, just so I'd get better with Vim. This thing is a frickin' katana for text editing (duh...)
- Ruby. A surprising number of production programmers don't have a scripting language under their belt, which is a shame. Ruby is both light enough for scripting and powerful enough to do basically anything you need. (Just write RSpecs for anything > 100 lines, m'kay?)
- Unix command line. I'm blessed to work at a place that's all *Nix, all the time, so getting better with unix commands and pipes is a must. Just off the top of my head:
- find and its many switches