Eventful day

Most of my Saturdays involve me getting to "sleep in" to 7am. Today was special--I got to sleep in to 8:30, at which point Bella declared, "Well, I've been awake for 2 hours at this point, might as well get up."

To encourage domestic sanity, Whitney and I have an arrangement--each of us gets alone time for around 4 hours each weekend. Traditionally, Whitney gets hers Saturday mornings 'til 1pm.

Yep, I'm to be a single parent for the next 4 hours or so. Easy enough, right?

Actually, it's pleasant. Usually. I have great kids--conversant, responsive, unspoiled. They appreciate time with Dad, especially when he puts the laptop down and unplugs his NPR-podcast laden iPod.

Today was going to be great--we'd take the recycle to the recycling center, hit a motorcycle shop or 3, maybe con our way into a test-drive of a car with a manual transmision, then hit the UK arboretum and some other goings-on in Lex.

Plans change.

Got everyone in the van, loaded-up our recycling bing, and keyed the ignition. Grind, grind, clickclickclickclickclick....Battery was toast. Called AAA, and they got a guy out to help me understand that 100 amps isn't QUITE sufficient to crank-over a 3.5L Honda V-6. One new battery later, we were off.

So, the rest of the day, in brief:
* Hit Waffle House in G'town for brunch. The kids and I love Waffle House. I love that 2 generations of waitresses work there. I love that a biker and his Old Lady showed up on a Sportster, followed by a 50 year old guy with Hair Band Hair.
* We hit Bell's Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki in Georgetown. The kids love a motorcycle shop. They haven't kicked us out yet, though the older lady there does recognize Maria.
* Maria caught a nap after that. Joey and I went into suspended animation for the next 3 hours.
* We had a great dinner.
* Joey and I watched "Shrek the OH MY GOODNESS WILL THEY STOP MAKING THESE AWFUL MOVIES" at the Bourbon Drive In.

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Mope

The reality of the next car purchase

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant