Rant: Thirty Five Million Dollars???

Perhaps Cal's a bargain at that price.

However, when I look at the budget presentation here, I see a $2.2 Billion budget for the University of Kentucky (slide 5). Calipari's $4,375,000 per year is right at 0.2% of the total budget. A pittance? Again, perhaps.

However, when we flip over to slide 11, notice a budget slashed to meet declining revenue projections, with 188 positions eliminated.

It makes me sick to my stomach to read the last slide, Dr. Todd's valediction to those whose education become unaffordable, and those staff who lost their jobs:


The budget before you is far from perfect. There is pain here
that no one seeks and no one deserves. In it lies the sacrifice of
our students, who will pay more tuition. In it too lies the
sacrifice of our faculty and staff, who will not see their pay
increase.


Yet, you found $35 million to pay some scoundrel who'll probably lead us straight to NCAA sanctions.

I can't believe my tax dollars support this kind of crap.

/rant

Comments

  1. I've been informed that these are not my tax dollars, and that the athletics budget is completely separate from the rest of the university.

    Admittedly, both Football and Basketball are net revenue generation sports. I welcome being wrong, if someone can spell it out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i initially thought and felt the same as you, but was informed the same thing, that the athletics budget is separate, and that the profit from basketball and football is essentially needed to fund other sports and areas of the university. Here's a link to an article someone sent me:
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/29992697/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder