Joining the 21st century

Ah December, the time to give, receive, and splurge on a really neat wireless plan.

For the last 3 years, in true Dave Ramsey fashion, Whitney and I have been prepaid Virgin Mobile users. I'd say subscribers, but there's no subscription--you pay-as-you-go, and pay only for the calls and text messages ("TXTs") you use.

On the whole, it wasn't a bad system. The phones were chintzy and low-tech, but they worked reliably for voice and text. Between the two of us, we were averaging $42 / month. Thing was, Whitney wouldn't carry her phone--she didn't like it, and wouldn't have it around for emergencies.

What she wanted was one of these puppies:



Yep. An iPhone 3G--the neatest thing since sliced bread.

Thing was, we didn't want a contract--felt too much like debt to us.

Let me summarize what happened this weekend:


Me, Saturday morning: "Hey, why don't we get some new phones?"

Whitney: WOOHOO!!!

And then...

...running around to 25 different wireless places, trying out different phones, deciding she wants a smartphone of some sort but hates AT&T, trying out verizon and finding that we don't like the phones or the service, despairing, going back to Lexington on Sunday, deciding AT&T was the best deal, seeing a rainbow (cue the music), despairing, regrouping, cursing the rainbow, and then...

...Whitney got an iPhone. It's an 8 gigabyte model. It's awesome.



Myself, I got a free phone out of the deal, a Samsung A737. Nice phone for what I want a phone for.

Comments

  1. yeah we've totally fallen off the Dave wagon....but I have a cool new phone! lol. I REALLY like Harold's orange phone. If mine came in orange I would SO be there! His has actual keys and they are backlit which is awesome! The ONLY thing I really hate about the iphone is how I have to, to quote CR, "keep eyes glued to the screen" as it's all a touch screen - including the keyboard. I prefer the QWERTY boards on the blackberry curve and samsung blackjack.....and wish the iPhone took video like the blackjack. but other than that it is INCREDIBLY cool.

    Me: So....why did you choose orange? It's actually more of a burnt unber.....

    Harold: To match the manual Fit I'm going to get one day.

    LOL RIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pfft.

    Already got it picked out:

    pic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I wouldn't say we've fallen off the Dave bandwagon, I just had to get real with something: You not having/not wanting a phone was an issue for me.

    Plus the coverage area on Sprint/Virgin Mobile in Kentucky's just terrible, especially going towards Mom & Dad's house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder