Jesus was a Democrat ???

Flash of insight I received during the sermon yesterday: Jesus was a Democrat (or, more appropriately, a 'Liberal'). More specifically, I don't see any way I could call Him a Republican or a Conservative.

This all spills out from our current sermon series on the book of Mark. Mark is (probably) the first gospel to be composed, and it was likely written by John Mark, a disciple of Simon Peter, the guy of whom Jesus said "Upon this Rock (literally Petra == Rock) I shall build my church". Mark is all business--this is what Jesus said, this is what it means. If something seems unclear or too Judean, he explains it in a parenthetical note. Mark's the Cliffs' Notes for Christ.

So, if I might oversimply my definitions:


  • Republican: Socially, fiscally conservative. Believing in small government, low taxes, and the rights of the individual. Likewise believes each individual is responsible for his own station in life. Believes in harsh punishment for criminals. Unequal wealth distribution is normal, even desirable

  • Democrat: Socially, fiscally liberal, believing in larger government programs to assist the needy, working class (and lower). Seeks to redistribute wealth from the top 1% towards those less fortunate, and provide opportunity for the disadvantaged.



The Republican attitude is: "I can do it on my own, stay the @#%( out of my way. If you're from bad circumstances, too bad. Get a job." That's a very inspiring (and very American) attitude. Thing is, from a spiritual perspective, that's UTTERLY BANKRUPT. We're ALL from bad circumstances (sin), and there's nothing we can DO in and of ourselves to overcome that. It's only by reliance on God and interdependence with and aid to our fellow man that we might attain salvation through Him.

Jesus reached out to the poor, the sinners, the crippled, the shunned. He despised people of high station who wouldn't stoop to aid a dying man.

* * *

Look, I'm not urging anyone to switch political parties. I just had a realization that maybe we're missing the bigger picture: Republican rhetoric always appeals to the Christian (esp. Evangelical) vote, but does the CORE of Republican belief line up with who Christ himself was?

Comments

  1. Aww, man! And he might have helped the Samaritans sneaking across the border, too!

    Certainly, there's "...if any would not work, neither should he eat" (2 Thess 3:10) and other verses that seem Republican-ish. And the far left seems awash in moral relativism at best, whereas God is clearly serious about rules and consequences.

    I'm not sure I would totally agree that Jesus was a Democrat, but Republicans need to be careful not to become the Pharisees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Pharisees.

    Yep, that was the trigger. We had a sermon on Mark Chapter 7, and it hit me square in the eyes.

    7:8 "Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intro: Whitney and I met through freecycle and have exchanged emails. We were born on the same day in 1979 and our daughters are about a month apart. :) I was looking at your blog for a Maria update.

    Anyway, I appreciate your point of view, but I would like to opine on the subject as a proud Republican. I don't want people to just deal with being poor. I just don't want the government to take 1/3 of my salary and decide what program they want to use it for. I believe that charity is the appropriate way to help those in need. God has blessed my husband and I, and we feel a responsibility and desire to helo others. However, I'd rather give my money to the single mom that is doing her best to raise her children instead of the drug addict that is collecting a welfare check to feed his/her meth addiction. So many government programs are wrought with abuse and fraud. It would be amazing to be able to get a hard number on how many millions of dollars are given away in food stamps that are then traded for drugs. I KNOW this happens on a regular basis.

    I'm a numbers person and I know how easily numbers can be manipulated, but one of the Dateline type shows did a series on who "gives" more. Republicans were more generous by far, and in tithes and charitable contributions outgave the democrats by a considerable margin.

    Neither party is perfect, but I think when you look at all the issues, Jesus would probably register independent and search his heart each election to decide who to vote for.

    I enjoyed your post. Take care, and I'd love to know how your daughter is doing with her recovery. I've been praying for her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder