GA -- they're back.

Okay, at this point in my life, there's only one show I watch religiously: Grey's Anatomy.

The last two episodes have caused me physical pain. You see, the main characters, the swooping eagles of the show--Merideth, Derek, Christina, and Burke--mean nothing to me. They're interesting in a surreal sort of way.

There are two characters I DO care about--Izzie and George. They seem very real to me...they're best friends and confidants, and they're flawed. They don't soar quite as high as the rest, but they do have a depth of emotion that is the anchor of this show -- when George's dad died, I had to consider what my own response will be to my father's passing. When Izzie lost Denny, the man for whom she threw away her career, I had to examine just what I would do if my own beloved were dying and there was precious little I could do about it.

So, they affect me. And, secretly, I've always wished they got together. For one thing, I married my best friend and confidant, and it's a beautiful thing. Things--everything ;-)--is much more fulfilling when you're sharing it with someone who's that close. Someone who gets you. Who can finish your sentences, who has the same thoughts you do at random times.

That's what a relationship ought to be--someone who transcends the physical or spiritual, who can see right to your soul.

Wrench in this plan: George is married. Got married in a quickie wedding to one extraordinary woman. A beautiful, talented, spoiled resident named Callie. She loves him intensely. To her, he's just as handsome, loving, and desirable as Derek is to Meredith.

So, the spoiled part--Callie is jealous and insecure because George has this unstable blonde supermodel as his confidant. This is the chick HE'S talking to about her. So, they have a fight, George has enough of it, and he violates just about every rule in the Married Man's Handbook:

  1. Don't let the sun go down on your anger. Cool off, yes. But don't abandon the field of battle after a minor skirmish.

  2. Don't get intoxicated to drown your problems

  3. Failing that, don't get intoxicated around women while drowning your problems

  4. Failing that, DON'T GET INTOXICATED AROUND A WOMAN in private, while drowning your problems.



George pretty-much violated all these (fairly common-sense) rules and woke up next to his best friend the next morning.

* * *

As with many things, be careful what you wish for. What could've been a beautiful thing is now dirty and shameful.

Like I said, I'm in pain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder