What stank about having a MINI
Now that I'm a whole month removed from having one of the coolest cars of the last decade, I have some downsides for all those of you considering a MINI purchase.
- The 02-04's are garbage. BMW came to Oxford, England and converted a plant with...ahem..."sufficient" build quality to build a 21st century automobile. They simplified the mechanicals and did constant improvements, even amid model years. Get an 05 or 06, especially if you're getting an 'S'.
- Yeah, the trunk *is* that useless. It's a hatchback, but you'll need to tumble the rear seats forward to haul anything.
- Frameless windows. Ugh...what a dumb idea. They're fragile, they flutter, and they don't seal very well.
- Backseat. Yeah, it's too small
- The hatch leaked. For 10 months and 3 trips to the dealer.
- Engine. Okay, iron block, undersquare, 115hp out of 1.6L. It's a turd, in true English tradition. "I've got a tractor engine, but good handling."