The film camera is dead?

Ars Technica Article


Still, as occasional hobby photographer myself, I find myself wistful in saying goodbye to the film era. I won't miss the lousy enlargements I get when I break down and go to the drug store for processing, but film has a feel, or maybe a look, that I still can't quite capture with a digital camera. There's also something to be said for the beginner who learns to carefully compose a quality shot, knowing he can't just take a dozen photos, throw ten away, and fix the remaining two in Photoshop.


This one's tough, because I cut my teeth on non-AF, black & white photography with a Cannon AE Super. As a Junior in HS, mom & dad bought me an awesome Pentax PZ-1 with full AF features and tons of lenses (40-80mm zoom, 70-210, 28mm f/2.8, 50 f/1.7). I LOVED photography. Yes, it was a bit of a phase, but I still treasure the shots I took with that camera, especially my pics of the Hale-Bopp comet ( ISO 800 50mm @ f1.7 for 15s, tripod mount)

I guess that was the appeal for me--the technical side. I liked understanding optics, film advances, shutter speeds, and film emulsion characteristics. At this point, those things are pretty antiquated. Nowadays, it's take a bazillion pictures, throw away 90% of them, and fix the rest in photoshop. Blech.

...In other news, I'm picking-up a set of 24 exposures I took on my voigtlander Bessa-R last weekend today @ Wally world. :-) I'll take my buggy whip in black, please.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder