Why I hated shaking hands in church...

One of the hallmarks of my experience in Christianity is my response to the 'Peace be with you' 'How you doing' moment. In the Catholic mass, there's a portion where you turn to your neighbor(s) and say 'Peace be with you'. In many Protestant services (such as ours at Northside Christian), we have a 'Greet your neighbor' portion of the service.

Until very recently, these moments scared the hell out of me.

I'm a sinner, and I stem from the great "I'm not okay, you're okay" tradition. It's hard to look someone in the eye and shake their hand when you're thinking they have holy insight into the blackness of your soul.

Of course, that's all bunk. We're all sinners, and saying 'hi' or 'peace be with you' is just our way of reassuring our fellow man that he does indeed belong in the church, and we're happy he's here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder