>>sigh<<

Today sucked as a team lead; it's as if my post from yesterday came to fruition, as I had to dress-down a team member for not doing his job, only to be criticized by the offended party for being too heavy handed.

Look, if you don't want me to keep my people in line, then don't come to me with crap like, "_____ isn't doing his job. He's off in la-la land while we're way behind. Now, are you going to talk to him, or do you want me to do it."

First of all, he's my guy, so he's special. Forget you "talking to him," I'll do it myself. If you're prepared to have people on your team, you owe it to them to do a good job leading and tell them when they've screwed-up and how they can do it better. So, thanks big Kahuna, ye of the non-work, I'll do my own dirty work.

Then I really screwed-up. The guy who was leading the other group comes to me and said, "you know, I didn't really need you to take it to that level. I was wanting to bring him along and now it looks like that can't happen." Look, I may be a young team lead, but get off the frickin' fence, Marshall. If you're going to complain 24-7 about my guy and have your whole hoity-toity development group criticize MY team because we've got one guy who can't tow the line, BELIEVE that I'll take steps to remedy the situation. I'm already set-up to fail by my management, I won't be undermined.

So, I'm pissed, and I compound that by walking by Marhsall complaining to his confidant about the situation and yell in, "Yep. I'm just yelling at everyone today. Bad Harold." I apologized for this later, to which the divine Mr. M said, "Oh well...just taught me to close the door when I talk about certain things."

All this simply confirming the fact that I work with the most sensitive egomaniacs this side of MIT. Everything is becoming a struggle.

To his credit, the member of my team whom I admonished took it well, but he's on a VERY short leash with me at this point.

* * *

Ray of hope: My team did work together magnificently today to solve a problem and release our build on time. I just hope I can string together enough "wins" like that to cohese use through the rest of the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder