On Having Unscheduled Time

Today, I had no schedule. That is, I discarded all things I had scheduled (Autocross, etc.) and just existed. I slept-in. I ate cake for breakfast. I wished my lovely a good trip back to Louisville, then I embarked on a little TLC for Big Red, my Chevy Silverado.

Big Red has 113,000 miles, and hadn't had an oil change since its mid-life overhaul in May. It takes 6 quarts of 5w-30 to fill the crankcase of the 4.8L V-8, and I purchased a case of Valvoline yesterday, resolving that I wasn't going to pay $48 for an oil change at the speedy-change place. I have the tools; why not do it myself?

*** Random thought: Given that this truck has a 25 gallon gas tank, it costs less to change the oil at Valvoline Instant Oil change than it does to fill the tank with 87 Octane. Go figure ***

Well, after a useless trip to Walmart, a run to Advance auto parts (needed an oil filter cap wrench...), and a return trip to Advance to dump the oil and buy some Turtle Wax, Big Red now basks in the afterglow of fresh oil, a new Purolator oil filter, and a wax job.

Such a wonderful day...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder