Book of James in one sentence: "Have some self control, and do God's work".

I don't know why, but I got up this morning with an urge to read the Bible. I made myself some coffee, turned off the radio + tv, and sat down to read whatever struck me. My marker from the last time I was at church was in James, so I began reading this tidy, direct book and it just floored me.

"Desire fully conceived leads to sin, and sin fully conceived leads to death." (James 1:15) Death not of the body, mind you, but of the spirit. This thing--desire--is the thing I struggle with most in my life. Work, cars, food, women...at varying times throughout my life, all have consumed me so much that they've stolen my time away from God. And right now, while I'm not away from Him totally as I've been at times, things are somewhat distant.

And, in general, the man who has self-control has an advantage. If he can back away from his natural instinct, he can get ahead in life, avoid trouble, think strategically. This is what I have touble doing.

So, anyway, dear readers, if you haven't read James lately, go for it. It's not a fun book by any means: James attacks the indolent, the proud, the rich, and the Epicureans equally, trying to motivate the Christians to season their faith with works. It's a worthy read, if you need a little kick in the tail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder