Labor Day:

I'm celebrating Labor Day by doing absolutely no labor. Today or yesterday:



"I did nothing..and it was everything I thought it could be"

Well, nothing is a bit of exaggeration. I've:


  • Read Joel Spolsky's latest tome on the ins and outs of software development. It's hugely common-sense work written by a gay former Israel paratrooper who moved to this country, graduated from Yale, worked on Microsoft Excel for 3 years, and now runs his own for-profit, closed-source (GASP!) software company in New York.

  • Played roughly 10 hours of Grand Turismo 3. I used to be addicted to this game and its predecessors, before I acquired a taste for autocross and other non-virtual forms of racing. Still, you can't fault Gt3: It's safe, it's cheap, and it's thrilling, if a huge time vacuum. I started playing yesterday at 7, stopping around 1 am, then playing another 4 hours today. Yikes.

  • Bought myself some new hiking boots to replace those that cracked in Colorado, making a tour of Lexington in doing so: Got the car washed at Jeff's Carwash on Nicholasville road, at Joe Guillory's recommendation.



Buying shoes for me is always weird because my father's phrase, "Ya need to getcha some shoes with some DAMN SUPPORT!" always ring in my ears. Shopping for shoes when I was a kid was a nightmare, especially with dad, because he always uttered that phrase about 5 minutes into the process. I have about 12 anecdotes that go with that, but they all follow a pattern: Dad trying to find me a decent pair of Redwing pull-on boots to match his.

I'll bottom line it for you: I finally found a pair of 10 1/2 EEEE boots when I was 21 years old. All the previous searches from age 8 to 18 were fruitless, and pretty darn painful for a father/son relationship.

* * *

OH! Almost forgot...finally purchased "Songs about Jane" by Maroon5. Excellent CD...great grooves and beats, reasonable lyrics. Really gets your head nodding. Buy it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder