It's been a very...uneven...week here in the Bluegrass.

First, a comment on the weather (yes, it's going to be one of *those* blogs): Though the week began with sweltering temps in the high 80's with lots of humidity, it was chilly this morning. I'm talking 60 degrees F, in AUGUST. It feels like late September out there.

The cool weather has been a boon to my exercise. I've jogged 2.5 miles each of the past two days, and I've drunk plenty of water, and I feel marvelous.

* * *

Work has been, well, not so good this week. I've figured-out what gets me about my co-workers in India: Complete lack of initiative. They see a problem, they identify it, they study it, but they don't FIX it. Basically, on my side of the project, I run on a very simple rule: No broken windows. If you see a problem in our server, don't jot a note down, don't waste 2 weeks trying to explain to some poor schmuck in America (i.e. ME!) how to fix it or why to fix it. Just fix it. Feel empowered, because that's the only way we can churn out software.

But they're not doing that.

Nope, it's "oh my gosh, this thing is broken", or "why does XYZ not work". I mean, it's like they're afraid they're going to piss-off someone by changing his code. Listen, none of it is OUR code. It all belongs to the company, which means its all a great big Sandbox for all of us to play in. All it requires is initiative, and they demonstrate a decided lack thereof.

* * *

I'm known for having grandiose opinions about all things political, social, and economic, but I'm rather spent at the moment. In the past few weeks, my world has gotten smaller and simpler, as I've concentrated upon those things close and important to me: Friends, family, work obligations, exercise, food, and taking life as it comes.

I don't know that this makes me disengaged so much as taking a breather. Political coverage bombards us so much that it's noise. I plan to have a look at the Party Platforms right after the Republican convention, but aside from that I couldn't care less at this moment.

* * *

This weekend looks to be somewhat tiring. Whitney and I are headed-up to Sparta for a two-day autcross, our Tri-region tournament. After that, no more autocross for the remainder of August for me. This will make 6 straight weekends of it, and while it's been great fun, that's just too much time, driving, expense, tire wear, wear'n'tear on the Pup, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder