The process chronicles, day 27:

Perhaps the most preposterous thing in our overworked, self-involved world is going to work and being told not to work, but that's where we are. After three meetings today, each resembling a 'talking to' from a teacher to a relucant, whiny pupil, my manager rolled-over and said, "My people won't do the work you promised them they could do? SATISFIED?!"

I feel let-down. It's not that I don't have other stuff to do; rather, it's that for once it seemed we had opportunity and approval to do things "The Right Way". Seemed a *little* too good to be true, and it is.

Just like planes, decent conversation, and most threads on the Usenet, the process has been hijacked by those jackass managers. Our project dangles on a string while those managers who understand the political game maneuver into stronger and stronger positions, while we stay sill or move backwards. Listen, fokls, altruism is great, but sometimes you have to see opportunity and sieze it.

Confrontation is the price of leadership.

* * *

It's my favorite day of the month: My new issue of Car and Driver is here. I've been reading C&D since I was 8; I still remember the first article I read: A gag piece on how a GMC Syclone truck could beat a Ferrari 348 in the 1/4 mile. Understand, Mom had never seen me ENJOY reading before. :-) Been hooked since then.*

Just renewed for 3 more years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder

Fun with Assembly