Kill me, I'm a man:

"The Producers" was hilarious and very up-beat. Great fare for a matinee, and our seats were excellent. We arrived late and missed the opening number, but from what I've read that's no loss.

My personal favorite: Ulla Basically, a Swedish chick that's like 7 feet tall, stacked, and, as Whitney remarked, "Do those legs ever stop?" Stole the show, IMHO.

* * *

Some random thoughts I had for websites or blog topics:


  • The Analog Devolution: Everything is going digital, but as my research into VoIP (Voice over IP, or "internet phones") indicates, some of this stuff is just overkill. There may come a time when there's a backlash against computers and digital stuff, particularly in two areas: Books and pictures. Digital books are a non-starter; people prefer the permanence and tactile experience of reading a book. Digital photos for the masses....I think there may be a backlash when people lose their entire photo album because of a hard-drive failure. Having an actual print (or slide) of a picture is archival; 20 or 100 years from now it's still instantly decipherable. Digital format is not; we can't read the data tapes from the Apollo missions and that was only 30 years ago. How much good is a hard drive 100 or 200 years from now?.

  • Life after Software: The flip-side of outsourcing The tech boom has found its denoument as many technical people can't find work (jobs outsourced) and still more (like me) see it as a dead-end, soul-sucking profession. Where do we go from here? Essentially, let's say your 20-40 and you've been working in tech since college. What sorts of careers could you fall into and get ahead? It's a thought-experiment that I do with myself, and I haven't found any answersr yet.

    If I lost my job Monday, I have no idea what I'd do; not pure programming, that's for sure. Any monkey can program, and that level of salary ('bananas') is pretty-much the level of competition (India, Philippeans). My mentor, Nathan, has said the real market is in domain knowledge. Perhaps go back to school & get a tied-in field: Financial analysis, bioinformatics, human factors. If and when I do leave this job, I think my attitudes are going to change from being idealistic ("I want to write perfect code") to being market-driven (I want a good paycheck w/decent hours. Computer work a plus.)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder

Fun with Assembly