In deference to someone very close to me, I'm moved to speak again on the Special Election:

I was flip before. I apologize. I am not glad that Chandler won. In the grand scheme of things, Forgy-Kerr's platform suits my political leanings closely, and it would've been better had she won.

THAT BEING SAID, if political candidates continue to treat their potential constituents as imbeciles, running negative campaign ad after campaign ad, the process is going to grind to a screeching halt. Given the tenor of the ads, I'm surprised that Ben Chandler's penis size wasn't called into question. (Though, generally, I'd argue Alice Forgey-Kerr has bigger balls, regardless). I'm normally immune to the mud slung betwixt the aisles, but in this instance, it got to me, mainly because I realized how much of it was coming from the Washington Political Machines of both parties. Call me old-fashioned, but House races are all about constituents and issues close to home. Few if any were raised between these two similar puppets.

The upshot for me and my vote was this:

1. Everyone should vote in every election. That's why I voted in this one, out of sheer obligation to those men and women who are dying every day in this world so that insignificant little me might have a voice in my government.

2. Everyone should take it upon themselves to become informed about the candidates and their relative stances on issues important to them. In that I failed miserably, and I apologize.

3. My distaste for this campaign was so palpable that had there been a 'neither of the above' option, I would've gladly taken it. As there wasn't, I voted for Gailey.

* * *

And, my stance, in general: If you vote a straight ticket as a matter of course, you're an imbecile. Republican or Democrat. If you examine all the candidates and all the candidates you vote for just HAPPEN to be on one side of the voting machine, so be it, but always go into that voting booth with your mind in gear.

I didn't really do that on Tuesday, and for that I'm sorry....

(Mitch McConnell Exemption: If they're for all you're issues but you think they're a power-hungry cog in a political machine, feel free to vote against them at your leisure :P )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder