Submitted for your approval: Godzilla, the 1998 remake of the 1954 monster-movie classic.

It was awful...I somehow avoided seeing this disaster during the summer between my Freshman & Sophomore year of college, but I thought, "I've got Netflix, so why not?" In any case, I can now join in the complaints about this movie that promised so much, but delivered so little.

My main problem with the film is its unoriginality: In changing nearly everything about the classic Godzilla, you'd think they'd come-up with some original stuff. Instead, you see stolen bits from other movies here: The eggs in Madison Square Garden, reminiscent of "Aliens", the desperate escape from young that they lifted wholesale from "Jurassic Park". And why is it raining the WHOLE TIME? I felt sorry for Matthew Broderick having to endure 6 weeks of shooting under rain machines.

The lone bright spot for me is Jean Reno as the French Secret Service officer that doesn't take himself too seriously. It might have been better had the rest of the cast, directors, and writers done the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder