"Stay tuned for a message from the big, giant head..."


(apologies for a not-so-bright look on my face and severe 5 o'clock shadow)

Today was the first time since I was in 3rd grade that I've been able to see my own face in a mirror without eyeglasses. It was a really, really altering experience.

I went to the optometrist at 3, and he put two of the daily-wear soft contacts in my eye and then told me to go sit in the waiting room for 15 minutes. They didn't hurt, but I got a weird headache immediately. I figured-out what it was: Unused to having peripheral vision, my mind was trying to process much more information than I was used to.

Basically, my eyes are so bad w/myopia and astigmatism that I have about a 6 inch window right in front of my nose that I can see. As I age and acquire far-sightedness, I'll lose even that. However, with the contacts in I could SEE!

It's still a little weird. I wore them for 4 hours today and then took them out, per their instructions, and my eyes feel a bit irritated, but not bad overall. They don't like looking through glasses anymore, apparently, because I got that same sort of "Why are you screwing with me?" headache as soon as I put my old glasses back on.

I'm a bit nervous: The contacts are flimsy little things that can turn inside-out and they have to last me for a year at least. This next week is basically a try-before-you-buy, and I'm wondering how much unreimbursed cost these bad boys will cost me....>>sigh<<

But, for the ability to buy a real pair of stylish sunglasses and wear them, I'll gladly pay it :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Southeast Christian Church Easter Pageant

Driving for the Cure...? (Or, how I got blacklisted...)

No, I don't have Connective Tissue Disorder